The North Fair Oaks Community Alliance (NFOCA) has started several projects, some in collaboration with other local, community based organizations serving the Peninsula. NFOCA wants to increase community participation to promote and support community activities that build unity and understanding of social, cultural, economic, environmental and health issues to attain equity and to empower residents to take ownership of some of the issues affecting North Fair Oaks. The following projects need your participation, so if you are interested in any of these, please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this volunteer application form to let us know how your skills and experience may help advance our organization’s needs and projects or what aspects of these projects interest you.
- Proyecto Mil Mascaras / Project One Thousand Masks: We are providing free face masks throughout North Fair Oaks to promote safety and help reduce the risk of COVID-19 infections among residents. Our face masks have been commissioned to Ana Juarez, a local seamstress and resident of North Fair Oaks, who has graciously taken on the task of making our facemasks. For updates and photos, please check our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/NorthFairOaksCommunityAlliance
- Free Blood Pressure Monitors Dispensation: We will provide free blood pressure monitors to patients of local clinics, including the Samaritan House Free Clinic and the Fair Oaks Health Center. More details coming soon.
- Tree Planting and Reforestation in North Fair Oaks: We are collaborating in a reforestation effort, planting up to 260 trees free for North Fair Oaks residents in collaboration with the nonprofit organizations Canopy, the Stanford Future Bay Initiative, the NFO Council, the Siena Youth Center, and Acterra’s Climate Resilient Communities. The trees are free and Canopy will plant and care for the first three years. Any resident of NFO who wants a tree or more information this opportunity can contact Canopy’s Community Forestry Coordinator, Maya Briones, at 650-964-6110 ext. 4 or by email at email@example.com. We are planning tree plantings in North Fair Oaks in mid December 2020 and also sometime in March 2021
- Bicycle Lanes and Pedestrian Walkways: We have been actively promoting the implementation of bicycle lanes throughout North Fair Oaks. Most of our board members have been advocating and actively participating in planning with the San Mateo County Public Works and with the Office of Sustainability to make this happen. While progress is slow, the Middlefield Road Redesign project is an accomplishment of such collaborations, and we hope to see the start in 2021.
- North Fair Oaks Historical Archive: We plan to establish our community’s first historical archive to harvest and preserve anything and everything documenting the history of North Fair Oaks, its organizations, its businesses and its people. More details coming up soon.
- Environmental Curriculum for youth:
Members of NFOCA were able to organize the very first collaboration among community based organizations that reside in North Fair Oaks, including El Concilio of San Mateo County, the Siena Youth Center, the NFO Council and the Stanford Future Bay Initiative. One of the successes was implementing a new curriculum around the environment, teaching the youth from the Siena Youth Center about the effects that climate change can have in their communities and on their families. We intend to continue enhancing the curriculum to support a stronger emphasis on educating our youth, and as an extension also educate their families about the importance of the environment and climate change. We will provide here a full report and outcomes soon.
SAFETY & PREPAREDNESS
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT): We want to sponsor and support a well-coordinated, well trained and well communicated CERT team and have an emergency contingency group of residents that is constantly communicating with the County of San Mateo Office of Emergency Services as well as with block coordinators in North Fair Oaks.
- Identification of Shelters and Evacuation Routes: We want to identify and/or develop spaces that can serve as community shelters during emergencies. And we also want to have clearly identified evacuation routes during various emergencies as fires, flooding, heat waves, earthquakes and other contingencies to maintain residents of NFO informed about such options.
SOCIETY & CULTURE
- North Fair Oaks Unification Efforts: We are working on developing activities and actions to unify the various sections of North Fair Oaks, which have been traditionally separated by various factors like economic and educational levels, culture and language, zip code/city segmentation, as well as by physical barriers.
- Creation of a Cultural Center: We want to organize and attain a physical space that can work as a Cultural Center for the entire community of North Fair Oaks. While this may be a seemingly difficult challenge -considering the scarcity and costs of land and buildings- our organization wants to explore every alternative possible so that our community can have a space for arts and culture, classes and art practice and teaching, as well as exhibitions from local artists. Society and culture can hardly exist if there is not a central place for people to congregate and make art happen.
- North Fair Oaks Business Alliance: We would like to assist the North Fair Oaks business community to get organized and to form a business cohort for self-representation and promotion of their business interests.
Other projects will continue to be identified as NFOCA works with the community to establish priorities, to improve services, and to bring equity into our underserved community.